#HecklersHangout 19 – a @BrandFlair Perspective on Gun Regulation
This Thursday, January 31st, Hecklers’ Hangout tackles one of its most controversial subjects: Gun Regulation. This highly volatile topic has passionate supporters on both sides of the regulation argument – from “I should be able to own whatever I want” to “we should remove all firearms from society”. We expect to have hecklers representing both sides of the debate. Unlike the protestor lines, we will have a moderated and respectful discussion. We do not necessarily expect either side to “see the light” and fully accept the opposing view. We do expect everyone to go home with a broader perspective, though.
John Boyle is a responsible gun owner who feels outrage, despair, and helplessness when confronted with tragedies like Columbine, the Aurora theater shooting, and Sandy Hook. Hearing the resultant backlash against gun ownership, John took the initiative to draft a proposal for gun regulation to present to his congressman. In fact, his proposal extends beyond just the gun regulation aspect of this social issue. Margie and I are going to let John present that proposal on Hecklers’ Hangout, and then we will see where the discussion leads. It is John’s goal to gain valuable feedback and insight on Hecklers’ Hangout. Ultimately, he hopes to post his proposal to the White House petition site to see if a common-sense and collaborative approach can gain traction.
Here are some of my own notes (and personal history) as we prepare for this discussion…
- I am not a gun enthusiast, but I am a gun owner. Those guns have been passed down to me through a couple of generations, and I treasure them – even though they primarily collect dust now.
- Growing up in a simple country life in south Texas, hunting and fishing was the way we “filled the freezer”. We did not hunt for sport…we hunted for food. In fact, I almost cried every time I shot a bird/rabbit/deer. Part of me hated it, but it was food on the table!
- Besides food, the knowledge and training for hunting and fishing is a rite of passage for many young men and women with a country lifestyle. My aunts were some of the best shots in our family (and they let us know it). Young people are taught gun safety and responsibility at an early age.
- I do not believe any private citizen should own fully automatic weapons. Gun hobbyists will tell me it is their “right”, and I definitely do not favor a lot of government regulation of any kind. I do find myself wishing the hobbyist would find a different hobby, though. I understand and appreciate the Second Amendment to the US Constitution.
- I believe any new gun owner should go through a full background check and possibly a psychological workup.
- I originally thought “magazine size” was an appropriate restriction until someone pointed out that the bad guy will simply bring more magazines!
- I believe the bad folks in our society will always get their hands on the weapons. The only people who would obey a firearms ban are the law-abiding citizens who were never a threat to misuse the weapons. Confiscate all firearms, and the bad folks will use bladed weapons, blunt objects, or let their own creativity be their guide. Does anyone remember the “captive bolt”, air-driven weapon used in No Country for Old Men?
- I believe violent movies, books, and games contribute to desensitized individuals who then act out their fantasies. FYI, I watch and read some of those books myself…but I’m not inclined to become a psychopath that would take other lives.
- I do find myself struggling with “due process” and loopholes when bad folks are caught committing atrocities yet they become a part of our sensationalized media and pop culture for months or years. This process makes them heroes and role models for the next person considering similar atrocities.
- I am not an activist. I’m just a guy who loves his family and wants them protected from the bad guys out there.
Hecklers’ Hangout Essentials
- Date: January 31, 2013
- Time: 7p EST / 6p CST / 5p MST / 4p PST
- Guest: John Boyle
- Topic: Proposed Gun Regulation
- Circle Brian Vickery and send a note on Google+ or Twitter for me to add you to the Hecklers’ Hangout circle. Circle my co-host Margie Clayman, too.
- Make sure you have a good webcam, microphone, and lighting
- Join the Hangout 15 minutes early for the camaraderie and to resolve any technical issues.
- If you cannot attend the live Hecklers’ Hangout, then you can watch the LiveStream on my YouTube channel or Google+ page. You can continue to tweet your heckles to #HecklersHangout. The recorded hangout will be available on my YouTube channel shortly after the conclusion of the live event.
See you this Thursday at 7p EST – bring your respectful heckles regarding gun regulation! Diverse opinions are appreciated – disrespect is never condoned or appreciated!