#HecklersHangout 25 – Ellen Bremen and a 3 Day Social Media Fast
Could you do it? Could you step away from social media for 3 days? Could you abstain and then take an honest assessment about how it made you feel – and how it impacted your ability to communicate?
Ellen Bremen (@ChattyProf) will be our guest on this week’s Hecklers’ Hangout. Some of you may know Ellen as the most-excellent author of Say This Not That To Your Professor (#STNT). However, Ellen also has a day job as a college professor ensuring her students are best equipped as communicators when they enter the workforce. Nearly 100 students have stepped up to take Ellen’s 3-Day Social Media Fast challenge – and to write papers about their findings. Ellen will summarize those findings on Hecklers’ Hangout. She will also discuss recent articles highlighting employers’ frustrations with recent college graduates’ skill sets. As the Forbes piece states: “We don’t have a jobs crisis in the world, we have a skills crisis.” But does the fault lie with the students or the educators – or the businesses’ unrealistic expectations without offering any additional training? Ellen also plans to reference survey results from this recent post via The Chronicle of Higher Education: A College Degree Sorts Job Applicants, but Employers Wish It Meant More.
Ellen’s undergraduate degree is in Post-Secondary/Workforce Education, so she is uniquely qualified to discuss the transitions college students face as they enter the professional workforce. And as an employer, I’m looking forward to her views on this subject as well as her Social Media Fast results! I’m sure our hecklers can squeeze in some questions about #STNT, too – we have kids wrapping up college courses, and that book provides a wealth of information to make their life easier when it comes to proactively and effectively communicating with their professors!
Hecklers’ Hangout Essentials
- Date: March 14, 2013
- Time: 7p EST / 6p CST / 5p MST / 4p PST
- Guest: Ellen Bremen
- Topic: Social Media Fasting Results and College Student Workforce Prep
- Circle Brian Vickery and send a note on Google+ or Twitter for me to add you to the Hecklers’ Hangout circle. Circle my co-host Margie Clayman, too.
- Make sure you have a good webcam, microphone, and lighting
- Join the Hangout 15 minutes early for the camaraderie and to resolve any technical issues.
- If you cannot attend the live Hecklers’ Hangout, then you can watch the LiveStream on my YouTube channel or Google+ page. You can continue to tweet your heckles to #HecklersHangout. The recorded hangout will be available on my YouTube channel shortly after the conclusion of the live event.
See you this Thursday at 7p EST – bring those heckles!!